Solid Oak Cube (Various Sizes)
All prices include VAT but exclude delivery
- Crafted from oak heartwood
- For outside use, but can be used internally
- Ideal plinth for garden features
- Novel garden seating
- Choice of sizes, note that advertised sizes are approximate and can vary slightly
- Cubes might be cut to order , lead time might apply
- The cubes can sometimes not have perfectly cut edges
- Certain sizes might be cut to order and require 1-2 weeks lead time
Oak trees are initially formed from sapwood, which conducts water to its leaves and roots. As the trunk expands, new sapwood grows around the old, which in turn forms the centre of the tree. Over time the older timber ceases to pass water to the remainder of the tree and its fibres toughen up, a process known as tylosis. This makes timber cut from the 'heart' of the tree denser and more resistant to insect and fungal attack.
These cubes arrive to us fresh sawn, but will have partially seasoned before being despatched. The timber will continue to dry over time according to its end environment, possibly resulting in some shaking and cracking, but this will only add character. As with all timbers, the cube will silver down through exposure to sunlight. Please note if using these cubes internally they will be more prone to splitting
Our cubes are a natural product that are stored outside in order to assist the seasoning process. As such, they may be weathered and partially silvered down. For an additional fee, we can restore the cube through sanding and oiling. This will also help delay the silvering process, although it can never be stopped completely.