Corten Steel Steps (4 Steps)
- 3mm thick Corten Steel
- Comes in a kit for self-assemble
- Tread Depth: 240mm
- Riser Height: 170mm
- Number of steps available: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Widths available: 1000mm, 1250mm, 2000mm and 3000mm
- Bespoke widths available on request, riser height and tread depth cannot be changed
Corten Steel Steps are a great way to add the wow factor to your garden
Corten Steel steps are a great way to add the wow factor to your garden. These steps are made from 3mm thick Corten Steel that will naturally weather and develop a rich rusty finish. Starting out as a blue steel, as soon as Corten Steel is exposed to the elements it will naturally weather and develop a rich eye-catching finish. This natural fixed coating of rust provides protection against further corrosion. During the weathering process the Corten Steel produces carbon run off which can stain adjacent materials such as stone or concrete. After the initial reactive period Corten Steel will cure and self-seal with little to no carbon run off.
All our corten steel steps come in a kit for self-assemble consisting of:
• a top and bottom step with holes for securing to a base or footing (bottom step) and solid vertical face, like a structural wall (top step).
• middle steps (number dependent on step option bought) that slot into the proceeding step and are secured to a diagonal brace using 4mm hex-drive bolt and 10mm nyloc nuts with washers.
• diagonal braces that the steps are secure to, minimum of 2nr. per item, wider steps will have more up to 4nr.
• Tread Depth: 240mm
• Riser Height: 170mm
Assembly is very easy; we would recommend at least 2 persons to complete installation.
Corten Steel, also known as weathering steel, is a special steel originally developed for bridge building and skyscraper construction due to its incredible strength. It starts out as a blue steel but on exposure to the elements, develops a protective, striking rust appearance, creating warm rich textures not always associated with metal. Due to the chemical composition of Corten Steel, a very dense oxidisation layer is formed during the weathering process which protects the blue steel inside. This natural fixed coating of rust provides protection against further corrosion. If this protective barrier is compromised, it will simply form a new skin to protect itself. Corten Steel is extremely durable and has a far higher resistance to atmospheric corrosion than other steels.
During the weathering process the Corten Steel produces carbon run off or staining to adjacent materials such as stone or concrete. To reduce this possible staining, we recommend raising the product up off the ground by using a suitable stand, blocks of wood, slabs and such like; this will prevent any direct contact with the flooring material. After the initial reactive period Corten Steel will cure and self-seal with little to no carbon run off. The weathering process of Corten Steel is integral to this product and as such we will not accept any responsibility for damage caused to surrounding materials as a result of carbon run off from Corten Steel products. Please ensure you do not place your product on any surface that may be damaged during the weathering process.
Step-by-Step Weathering Guide
- Stage 1 – Freshly manufactured Corten Steel. At this stage the dark oily residue coats the Corten Steel.
- Stage 2 – The oily residue is beginning to break down, as the Corten Steel begins to weather.
- Stage 3 & 4 – The “Run-Off” stage – This can take around 3-9 months depending on weather and positioning.
- Stage 5 & 6 – The final stages of the weathering process. Some “Run-Off” may still occur as the Corten Steels patina develops to a striking, more consistent appearance.
Corten Steel is extremely durable. if it is scratched or the weathered surface is damaged, it will re-weather (heal) itself back to the original weathered state, making the damaged area nearly undisguisable from the rest of the planter. Corten can be easily cleaned using water and a soft brush. it can be sealed using a metal specific varnish, please note this will make the steel appear ‘wet’ or darker for the rest of the item’s life.
GET IN TOUCH
Looking for advice or would like a quote?
Fill out our quick form below and we’ll get back to you by the end of the next working day.